Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Internet and Food

Recently I was asked to check out the Food Babe blog. From the name I thought that I would be very interested in what the content of that blog would be. It turns out I would be disappointed.

As I read through some of the blog posts I became more and more disgusted with some of the things that were being put out there. The entire purpose of the blog seemed to be to scare the consumers and anyone else reading the blog. The blog had so much information that was aimed at consumers for the sole purpose of making consumers fear everyday food that is being consumed by millions of people worldwide each day. This becomes obvious just by reading the titles of the posts such as, "Is Healthy Food Destroying Your Gut?", "It Was Snuck Into our Food Supply-- Are You Eating This Dangerous Ingredient?".

What is the first thing you think of when you see those posts. For me it was that someone was trying to make me fearful of the food that I am eating. While some of her posts (and by some I mean bits and pieces of some posts) have good health tips and ways to make sure you know what you are eating, the general idea is to push you to buy her book or eat products that she deems "safe".

My purpose here is not to necessarily tell you that she is wrong. After all, I have not done nearly enough research to prove/disprove every post that the Food Babe has made. My purpose here is to make sure that if you do read her blog, be sure to check your facts before joining the "Food Babe Army". When you read some of the posts, I implore you to look at any sources she provides with a critical eye. Some of them may have a heavy bias toward her cause. Would she present those sources if they weren't?
Photo credit: quickmeme.com

Finally, if you have any questions about what goes into your food ask a farmer. We as farmers want to talk to you and we want to know what you think about your food. If you have reservations about your food get the information first hand. After all, not everything on the internet is true. If that were the case, I would like to make it a point right now, in this post, to say that I never have to pay taxes and I have a degree in Law and full job security for the rest of my life. As does every one of you reading this post.

4 comments:

  1. Does this mean your blog isn't true...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misinformation and the internet go hand-in-hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Evan. I also know that people often pursue certain diets, such as gluten free, that are made for people who actually have an intolerance or another medical reason to have a special diet. As long as you are smart about what you eat (i.e. not eating red meat every night), then you should have no issues eating food from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete