Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Burning Season

Since burning season is upon us and it is my favorite time of the year, I have decided to explain a little as to why I love what should be the practice of a pyromaniac.

I would first like to start off by saying that burning season is a very important part of agriculture. The purpose of burning is to release crucial nutrients in the soil that help renew and enrich the land where grass and other wildlife grows. It is also an important part of grass, brush, and weed management. Without burning, we would have a bunch of dead foliage sucking up all the sunlight while the organisms that need it cant get it. So even though burning pastures might seem like farmers just trying to have fun with fire, it does serve an important purpose.

I love when my family burns pastures because it makes for beautiful scenery in the evenings. On occasion, I will look out my window and see a blazing line of fire in the pasture next to our house. Most people would be alarmed and even start panicking. This is one of my favorite sights though because I know that good things are going to come of it. It is going to provide new life for the things that grow there.

Photo credit: Kevin Shields
The other reason I love burning season is because of the smell. I don't know about some people but I love the smell of burning leaves in the spring. Not that smell that is so strong that it burns your nostrils and makes your eyes water. The smell of a pasture fire that has happened recently died down and all that is left is the hint of burning leaves and brush. I'm not sure where I got this strange attitude but it is there and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Next time you are driving along a highway and you see a line of fire lighting up a pasture for a prescribed burn, take the time to enjoy it, without wrecking, and if you're like me you may roll your windows down.

3 comments:

  1. They are cool to look at. Are they safe for the environment, as far as the carbon monoxide and such is concerned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed the smell of burning grass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the season of burning land! The smell is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete